The abortion pill pack contains 2 sets of pills - Mifepristone and Misoprostol. The abortion pill pack helps in the successful abortion process for less than 9 weeks of pregnancy. It is a clinically proven, affordable, safe and non-surgical process, also known as the medical abortion. It is advised to consult a gynaecologist before consuming the abortion pill pack. When the abortion pill pack is taken as per the guidance of a doctor, most of the cases lead to a successful termination of pregnancy. However, it is important to follow the guideline and confirm abortion with the doctor to prevent complications.
How to take the abortion pill pack?
Stage1 - Taking Mifepristone
The patient must take the first pill, Mifepristone orally. This medicine initiates the abortion process, but it is important to take the next pill to complete the abortion process successfully. After taking Mifepristone, the patient may feel nausea and vomiting. The patient can continue with day-to-day activity until the next pill is taken.
Stage 2 - Taking Misoprostol
After 24-48 hours, post taking Mifepristone, the patient must take 4 Misoprostol pills orally. The patient must keep 2 pills on the right side, 2 on the left side, wait for 5 mins for the pills to dissolve. This may lead to heavy bleeding, 4 times heavier than the regular period bleeding, along with cramps and fever. This requires preparation such as:
- The patient must stay home with someone to help and support.
- The patient must keep multiple sanitary pads, pain killers, and food.
What to expect after consuming the abortion pill pack?
It is very important to take both the pills as per the instructions of a doctor. Taking Mifepristone alone will not lead to abortion, the sequence of taking Mifepristone along with Misoprostol pill is essential for pregnancy termination.
- 2-3 hours after consuming Misoprostol pills (24-48hrs after taking Mifepristone), the patient starts bleeding and feels cramp.
- The bleeding can be heavy with tissues of pregnancy.
- Once the fetus is out, the bleeding and cramping slow down and may last for 4-5 hours.
- Heavy bleeding is normal for the first 1-2 hours along with cramping.
- Stomach and abdomen pain during bleeding.
- Feeling feverish.
- Weakness and Dizziness.
What to do, to feel better?
- Getting detailed information on the process from the doctor will keep the patient mentally prepared.
- The patient can ask for pain killer pills from her doctor.
- Keeping a heat bag on the stomach may help feel better.
- Sitting in the toilet, and having someone rub the back can make the patient feel better.
- Taking a shower will help ease out the pain.
When to call a doctor?
Abortion pill packs are safe; however, the patient needs immediate medical attention for the following symptoms:
- The fever goes beyond 100.4 degrees F.
- If the bleeding doesn't reduce after the first 2 hours. In the first hour of bleeding, the patient might need 2-3 pads, however, in the subsequent hours, the bleeding should decrease. If the patient requires more than 2 pads every hour then visit the doctor immediately.
- If the abdominal pain continues for more than 12 hours.
It is important to know the alarm-ringing symptoms from the gynaecologist and stay safe from infections, complications and serious side effects.
The most important part of the whole process is to confirm abortion. The abortion pill pack has a high success rate; however, it is important to visit the gynaecologist and get the uterus scanned for confirmation. It is important to consult a gynaecologist before taking the abortion pill pack, follow guidelines, and confirm the abortion.